« Writing Online Reviews: Write Once. Publish Everywhere. | Main | Growing a Blog's Subscriber Base »

Red, Green, Blue and Yellow Laser Pointers: Presentation Heaven
Benjamin J. Higginbotham
I was in a meeting earlier today where we needed a laser pointer.  Went to my desk to grab my uber-cool green pointer, but could not find it.  I was in a hurry, so I grabbed my lame and not very bright red one and went on my way.  During the meeting my mind started wandering to different types of laser pointers, and what one could actually get.  While red is nice, how cool would it be to have a collection of different colored laser pointers?  So I have decided to start collecting.  Hey, I'm a technoholic, it's what I do.

I already have a red laser pointer.  I think everyone knows what these look like, it's soooo 1995.

I had a green laser pointer from Think Geek.  I just need to find my green pen again, or buy a new one.  Cost here is $79.00.

GreenLaser.jpg

I have always wanted a BLUE laser pointer.  I have seen blue lasers before, but nothing small enough to fit in my hand.  Did a bit of web   searching, and for a mere $999 I can get my hands on an actual blue laser pen.  For $1,899 I can get a pen that's insane, crazy bright.

BlueLaser.jpg

One color I had not thought of was yellow, and that's a lot less than blue at $299.  Problem is that I can't get this pen shipped to the US (afraid I may, what, blind myself?)  I'll see if I can't get around that somehow and add that to my collection.

YellowLaser.jpg

This will be a fun new project, collecting as many different colored laser pens as possible.  Anyone know of colors other than red, blue, green and yellow that will act like a pen/pointer?  With all the current pointers, I'm looking at $1,377.  Has anyone worked with these different colors before, or know anything about blue and yellow?

Comments

1. Posted by: Peg on February 25, 2006 5:24 AM:

have a sniff round www.laserpointers.co.uk and www.megagreen.co.uk in the UK , they always seem to have the latest lasers .
PEG

2. Posted by: Alasdair on January 11, 2007 3:44 PM:

wow!! Nice idea - I wish I simply had enough money to make such a collection.

I have a green LASER pointer which has been amplified furthur from 5mW to 38mW and is crazily bright.. and great fun. A blue and yellow would be a great addition to my collection! I find it very hard to find more powerful red ones.

Take a look at my website for some photos of my Green LASER in action!!

Regards

Alasdair

thanks for the links PEG

My site is here (excuse adverts - sorry)

3. Posted by: Wil on January 20, 2007 5:41 PM:

I have a green lite. I found the same prices you did for the 299 for yellow and 999 for blue. I bought the green laser back in 2002. Still works fine. I keep a chain on it so it can never be dropped. I use it like maybe 2 or 3 minutes a week. So it is still good.

4. Posted by: Frances Victoria Bonanno on May 31, 2007 11:31 PM:

i just brought a 150mW green laser pointer but i'm looking at getting a 300mW one.. but i'm considering getting a different colour what amount of power can you get in the blu red and yellow ones

5. Posted by: Laser on June 4, 2007 9:31 PM:

Hey, I just saw your post about laser pointers. I am actually a moderator ("Moderator") on laserpointerforums.com , apart from the red, green, yellow, and blue, there are just now, violet lasers pointer which sell for around $400-600. A violet laser is currently the only color missing from my collection;) . Come join our forum, and learn all about these lasers.

Laser Pointer Forums

6. Posted by: Benjamin Higginbotham on June 5, 2007 3:25 PM:

Laser, that's really cool. I'll make sure to pop over there.

7. Posted by: Spudmeister on July 2, 2007 3:29 AM:

Think geek is great but you pay extra for buying from a branded retailer.

At http://www.dragonlasers.com you can get the same green, blue and yellow (they call it orange) lasers for lower prices.

Check this out for a cool laser pointer video :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRTbb3H27Y

8. Posted by: H.Salem on July 6, 2007 7:49 AM:

Hi,

I am looking for a normal laser pointer with two colors: RED/Grreen. Any idea where can I get such one?

Thanks in advance,

9. Posted by: Benjamin Higginbotham on July 6, 2007 12:57 PM:

I believe Think Geek has what you're looking for:

10. Posted by: Martyn03 on July 31, 2007 2:19 AM:

I have seen a purple laser pen at some sort of convention over here in the uk

11. Posted by: bettyboop141414 on August 8, 2007 4:55 PM:

Purple Laser Pen? Martyn03: do you have a website for it?

12. Posted by: tracy on August 20, 2007 8:21 PM:

Think geek is great but you pay extra for buying from a branded retailer.

At http://www.kkgo.com.cn you can get the same green lasers pointers, wireless presenters and RC presenters for lower prices.

13. Posted by: J.J on October 5, 2007 7:33 PM:

Found orange laser here....

14. Posted by: Angie Clark on February 7, 2009 2:59 PM:

yes, there are orange and also violet laser pointers out there, check out dragonlasers.com

15. Posted by: John on December 1, 2009 8:04 AM:

Check out www.technologyplanet.co.uk cheap quality lasers in the UK... good prices.

16. Posted by: Anthony on March 23, 2010 5:31 PM:

The violet and blue lasers are great when used with a glow-board. You can use the pointer like a pen and write on the board. You have to see it to believe it!

Glow-Board