« Craigslist Users Nix Professionally Produced Real Estate Listings | Main | Freestyle Friday Podcast - 04/13/2007 »

Technology Evangelist Replaced by Charles McCord on Imus Show
So, I made up the Technology Evangelist temporarily replacing Imus thing. This was a subtle, but key line to the story:
Wow, it feels like we're running 11 days behind.
As in, 11 days behind on April Fool's jokes.

Can you run an April Fool's joke on days other than April 1st? The precedent was set on March 31st, when Michael Arrington went early. I, on the other hand, went late: way late.

Here's the back story:

I was out rollerblading after work yesterday when I received a Tweet from Chuck Olson, announcing that MNStories.com had hired Don Imus. While high on fresh air and exercise, I thought to myself, "who's going to replace Imus? Maybe we should." So I whipped together the post.

It looks like I beat CBS by around 3 hours on their announcement that Imus' sidekick, Charles McCord, would be the temporary replacement.

I thought people would find the story entertaining, yet implausible. A tech podcast stepping into a $15 million national radio show spot? Cool.

Scoble jumped on it, and based on his post's time stamp, somehow linked to the story 3 minutes before it went live. I "leaked" the "release" to Twitter and received some great responses of encouragement.

LayZ bought it half-way in Scoble's comments. His analysis of the situation was perfect, but he wasn't willing to call BS:
CBS needs to fill the time with something. But NO WAY this carries an adequate audience for Imus’ time slot, or makes up the $15MM in lost advertising and syndication revenue CBS will realize by their over-reaction in firing Imus.
A few more observations before getting back to our regularly scheduled programming:

1. Bloggers love ripping the mainstream media, but obviously admire it as well based on the buzz created by a crossover story.

2. It's encouraging to hear that Technology Evangelist's content is at a level where this could be considered plausible. We'll try to live up to that going ahead.

3. A lot of people clearly get their news from blogs. CBS' announcement that they're going with McCord hit around 3 hours after my post, but the comments kept rolling in. Congrats to Dawn Scire for debunking it in the comments.

4. Augie De Bliek, Jr. just figured it out in the comments:

"Wow, it feels like we're running 11 days behind."

That would have been April Fool's Day, folks. There's your joke.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Technology Evangelist Replaced by Charles McCord on Imus Show:

» Tech Bloggers: We’re Pathetically Easy Hoax Bait from Deep Jive Interests
So just moments before I was about to push “publish” on an article named “CBS is Crazy: I Love Tech, But It Makes No Sense” about how CBS was “going” to replace Don Imus’s radio show (who I presume you know was... [Read More]

Comments

1. Posted by: Justin Chen on April 13, 2007 9:41 AM:

Haha, good one. I thought you guys just had some really good connections ;)

2. Posted by: Marshall Kirkpatrick on April 13, 2007 9:52 AM:

Ha ha, remind me to link to your site here again every chance I get :( I told myself "there's no way these guys would make something like this up - they are professionals." Oh well, attribution for this dumb joke is on you, not me. Grrr...I hate falling for jokes like this. If this is hillarious in some kind of MN way or something, then congratulations.

3. Posted by: Rex Dixon on April 13, 2007 10:01 AM:

Good one dude! :) http://rexduffdixon.com/?p=2423
Congrats on getting everyone good! hahaha..

Rex

4. Posted by: Dawn Scire on April 13, 2007 10:11 AM:

Yup, see what happens when googling for info? Everything comes up... even jokes (disguised as 'real info!'), which I suspected this was, but was almost fooled because those other blogs picked up the story.
However, CBS thought I was nuts!
Good thing for fact-checking. :)
Had you not 'officially' outed the joke, you may've been able to get even more media attention....!
Cheers,
Dawn

5. Posted by: Peter F on April 13, 2007 10:36 AM:

I didn't figure it out but waited to post to my blog until further confirmation. Seemed a stretch but stranger things happen (like Imus saying what he did in the first place).

Good one, Ed.

6. Posted by: Jeremy Toeman on April 13, 2007 10:59 AM:

Ed, you ROCKED my morning. I LOVE it. 5 gold stars for you!!!

7. Posted by: Thomas Hawk on April 13, 2007 12:03 PM:

And in other news, Charles McCord's first new guest on the new Imus show will be none other than photographer Thomas Hawk and blogger Robert Scoble to discuss this new "photowalking" craze that's sweeping the nation.

8. Posted by: Joe Duck on April 13, 2007 12:19 PM:

Not good. Blogs suffer enough credibility problems without this type of confusion. Are you expecting readers to always second guess whether you are serious or joking? A bogus and bad joke.

9. Posted by: raj on April 13, 2007 2:38 PM:

Do you remember that Babu character on Seinfeld? You're a very, very bad man for playing April 12th joke :) :)

Naughty, naughty.

However, given that bloggers are hot property, would it have been surprising?

10. Posted by: Craig on April 13, 2007 11:35 PM:

I don't think you can do that. I mean the April's Fools Day thing 11 days late, but you did it anyway. I guess I was wrong about that. Very entertaining!

Fashion Blog